Get Visual is the grateful recipient of a grant from The Christos N. Apostle Charitable Trust

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Carol Hamoy at Opalka Gallery


Here's one I missed. I have it from a good source that Sunday afternoon's reception for Carol Hamoy: Psalmsong and other works at Sage College of Albany's Opalka Gallery http://www.sage.edu/opalka/currentshow/ was well attended by members of two distinct (if overlapping) communities: artists and Jews. This makes a lot of sense, especially when you consider that this show brings together two strong lines in the exhibition record of the Opalka, namely visual art and Jewish cultural history.

Over the years, Opalka Director Jim Richard Wilson has done a remarkable job of putting together a series on local Jewish communities, and the art shows here have included some of the region's best each year. It's a beautiful space, well suited to the ethereal Hamoy installation now on view through Feb. 21.

That said, here's my disclaimer: I have visited Psalmsong and it is not my cup of tea. Still, I would especially recommend it to people interested in Judaism, spirituality, women's issues and contemporary installation art.

And get ready for the Opalka's next offering, the 31st Annual Photography Regional, which is set to open on March 6. Curated by Elizabeth Dubben as an invitation-only show of 13 artists, most of whom push the envelope beyond tradition, it is sure to raise some enjoyable controversy. I'm planning to be there to see a challenging show and contribute to the dialogue - I hope you'll join me.

No comments: